Tuesday, January 26, 2010

GC Guy's last ride


9 riders fronted up this morning for the ride, our best turn out yet. The light is disappearing quickly now and if you don’t have lights you need to think seriously about it now. Noticeable by his absence was Chipper; the big weekend had taken its toll on him.
On the way out Sprinter copped a flat and most of the pack stopped to make sure he was ok. The rest saw this as an opportunity and didn’t look back.
GC Guy picked up his first ever jersey in the mountains (ok they are only hills) and narrowly missed out on the double with The G just hanging on to win the sprint.
Special mention this week goes to the Zuuer; our worst fears have been realised and he is very strong on the new machine. Looks like you will be doing plenty of work up the front Zuuer!
With this being GC Guy’s last ride I have asked him to commentate on the events that took place up the front.

These are his words…..

The pace out was Fast and Furious; The Cervelo Test Team of EPO Hammer & Zuuer did most of the work out. I had to wait for a car at Benaraby intersection and the boys waited for me. Thanks guys! After the railway tracks, Zuuer started hammering again and Hammer faded. I kept looking back to see if Hammer would come along as I wasn’t sure a breakaway of two would survive the peloton. But Hammer obviously didn’t have enough EPO this morning, wasn’t coming so I sucked onto Zuuer’s wheels for dear life (laws of gravity do not apply to this bloke as he was hammering up the hills the same pace he was going down there). I tried couple of times to help with the pull but the pace was just too crazy. Luckily I had just enough in the tank to lead Zuuer up the hills. He probably didn’t know where the finish line is but as it was my last ride, all diplomacy went out the window and I went for it! Sorry Zuuer.
On the way back, The Stretcher paused to organise the groups into one single pack (I thought he was going to have a stretch). The objective was to pace line to the finish. The Stretcher, young Dylan and I attempted but The G responded with a “no way”. Obviously, he has bigger intentions. Young Dylan, The G, Zuuer and The Stretcher did most of the pulling on the way back. I was sucking on everyone’s wheels (just like a good GC guy would do) and not let anyone get away. The Stretcher attempted to breakaway on the big hill but was caught by a Furious G (Fu-G). Towards the last couple of hundred metres, I followed G hoping that he would tire but he didn’t. Having never contested a sprint, I blame it on my poor timing. But in all honesty, it was just a pure case of lack of muscle mass. Now, I will have the shame of beaten by some guy from Manawatu/Pahiatua/Eketahuna… Oh the shame…

As it was my last Wed ride for a while (you never know, I might come back and try the double another day). Thanks for the comradeship and the many fantastic rolls on the tarmac with you folks. Safe riding and good luck with the drafting.

2 comments:

Arpit said...

Classic Finish line photo.

Hammer got hammered today. I might change my name to "pancake". All my attempts to keep up with the Zuuer were in vain.

I need I V.

G said...

GC you should know never to mention Manawatu in the same sentence as Pahiatua, brings on bad Karma!!