Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Rocky Road Race 2

The racing was hot at round 2 of the Rocky road series, damn HOT! I think it was just over 30 degrees when racing got underway and the heat had a fair bit to do with more then a few riders pulling the pin early.
In A grade it seems that most of the riders were just feeling each other out and treating the round more like a training session then an all out race, evident by the pace they rode at. Brad grabbed second after messing up the sprint (from what I heard) and Lew in third. Dylan and Mick were a little way back but read nothing into that....Dylan TT'd a fair bit of the race out front and Mick is still in training mode.
In B grade there was more than one attack off the front (M1 rider more than once)  but they weren't going to get away with the headwind over the back of the circuit and the speed in the pack behind. In the end the heat and pace (at times) cooked a lot of the pack that saw only just over half the riders that started finish. This was my first sprint finish and I thought I was going to pull off a win, until I hit the point where everything feels numb and started to fade just before the line. I looked over my shoulder to see 2 guys screaming up on me but i was gone and could do nothing, third it was. Still it was my first ever place in a race other than a TT :) Craig rode strongly and was feeling the heat like I was but he still dragged the pack around the last lap on his own...give him a month and it will be different.
C Grade was taken out by Cat from Gladstone. She was always going to win with the k's she has in her legs. I think she is part mountain goat with the amount of climbing she pulls off every week :)

No comments: